[Owncloud] howto exclude translation, order of entries in localisation menu

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Thu Sep 5 10:23:48 UTC 2013

Hi all,

On Thursday 05 September 2013 10:45:03 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> And next to what Christian mentions, I think we should actually get rid of
> the German informal translation. Mostly we try to avoid using Du/Sie
> altogether, and the cases where we need it do not really warrant
> maintaining a whole different translation. Including all the confusion
> which is which.

sorry, I disagree. Two reasons:

1.) localization is there to make using software more user friendly and to
adapt the usage experience to the users expectations and needs.
Limiting that effort artificially to work around secondary issues like clear
distinction of the available options is a sad thing: it means stopping half
way. Why?
There are two different expectations, both are justified. Serve them.

2.) the often seen workaround to prevent "having to" support two german
localizations, avoiding direct addressing of the user, is something
intuitively done by many developers and designers. Often it works out fine,
actually gives the user experience some mature touch.
However there are situations where this approach leads to unbearable
linguistic constructions. Such artificial usage of a language ruin the user
experience by crippling exactly the main point behind why localization is done
in the first place: enhancement by offering a natural and intuitive
interaction. Why?

I'd say: Don't!

Christian Reiner (arkascha)