[Owncloud] oc with ssl client certificate

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Wed Oct 30 16:21:52 UTC 2013

Hi Johannes,

Am 30.10.2013 um 17:03 schrieb Dr. Johannes Zellner:

> how do owncloud clients work when apache is configured with ssl client certificate authentification?

Neither the desktop nor the mobile clients support certificate authentication at this point, see below for details.

> does the windows client work with a client certificate?

The Desktop Client (which has the same codebase for all OSes), has https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues/69 filed for that. It's not yet scheduled for any release, but if you look at the bug report, someone has volunteered to look into it, although it's been a few weeks since I last heard of him.

The interesting question from my (the client) perspective is: (how) did you make it work on the server? IMHO client certificates are only interesting if ownCloud automatically maps them to a user (as opposed to just being in front of http basic auth as a second layer), and afaik there is no user backend for the server that implements such functionality.

> does mounting via davfs2 on linux work with a client certificate?

Haven't tested that yet myself. The man page indicates that it does.

Cheers,
  Daniel