[Owncloud] Client Side encryption with OwnCloud

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Fri Oct 25 19:10:45 UTC 2013

On 25.10.2013 18:34, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Friday 25 October 2013 Klaas Freitag wrote:

Hi Cornelius,

>> I think it does not make too much sense because you loose almost all
>> features of the ownCloud web interface, such as viewing files, music etc.
>
> To me client-side encryption is the one big missing feature in ownCloud. This
> would enable hosting it on an server you don't control, and still have full
> ownership and control of your data.
Well, you own the data on the server, but its useless there for you. So
what is the use case of the entire ownCloud (filemanagement) then? Just
a hub to synchronize from one device to the other?

Actually yes, that's a feature. But I think we were hoping to make more
out of ownCloud. And that made the idea slipping further down the
priority list I think.

> Of course you would lose some convenience and some features, but if it's all
> about convenience and features, and not about control of your data, then I can
> also go with Google or similar services.
I think both points are valid.

> Is it hard to implement such a feature? Hell yes. But that's part of the fun
> and the value.
Does that mean you're in? Great! :-D

regards,
Klaas