[Owncloud] Client Side encryption with OwnCloud

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Oct 25 16:34:54 UTC 2013

On Friday 25 October 2013 Klaas Freitag wrote:

> I think it does not make too much sense because you loose almost all
> features of the ownCloud web interface, such as viewing files, music etc.

To me client-side encryption is the one big missing feature in ownCloud. This
would enable hosting it on an server you don't control, and still have full
ownership and control of your data.

Of course you would lose some convenience and some features, but if it's all
about convenience and features, and not about control of your data, then I can
also go with Google or similar services.

Is it hard to implement such a feature? Hell yes. But that's part of the fun
and the value.