[Owncloud] Client Side encryption with OwnCloud

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Fri Oct 25 14:41:26 UTC 2013

On 25.10.2013 16:16, Paul Greindl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> That was what I was talking about, we are going to implement it.
> Regarding the value, in our project it actually was a quite often
> requested feature and I personally find it important, too! As I
> mentioned, not all users have the possibility to host their own server.
> That's why we decided to focus on encryption. It's all about security!
>
> What we need is the opinion of the ownCloud and sync app developers as I
> guess they have been thinking about how they would like such a feature
> to be implemented. Also we could check how seafile implemented their
> client side encryption.
Well, you would encrypt every file before you upload it with a local
key. Sounds simple, is probably doable for small files, becomes tricky
for larger files. You must permit uploads through the web interface and
webdav.

I think it does not make too much sense because you loose almost all
features of the ownCloud web interface, such as viewing files, music etc.

Klaas