[Owncloud] JuniorJob app opportunity

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Thu Oct 3 07:42:15 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I received some comment to one of "my" apps, FluXX Complensator (Y),
where a user asks for hotkey support. I never thought about such feature,
but it clearly makes sense.
But as mentioned several times before, I won't invest more time into those
apps, that's why I am still looking for maintainers for them...

However an idea came up whilst giving the feature of hotkeys some thought:
implementing such feature for a single app sounds more or less straight
forward, but two issues arise:
1.) a hotkeys feature does require a configuration option, this would bloat all
apps implementing such feature and
2.) separate implementations of such feature in the apps certainly leads to
incompatibility and conflicts.
So I came up with this suggestion:

A separate "hotkeys" app which implements a hotkey support for owncloud
in general. It offers a configuration section where users can modify
hotkeys, but mostly it should come with a few templates, collections of
hotkeys for typical apps, where a template should have a persistent logic
builtin.
There are ready-to-use javascript libraries for hotkey support. In case of a
single app implementing such feature the additional library might be
tolerable.
To me this sounds like a great JuniorJob opportunity!

Christian Reiner (arkascha)