[Owncloud] default storage

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Wed May 29 12:57:30 UTC 2013

--- On Wed, 5/29/13, Luis Angel Fernandez Fernandez <laffdez at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using an NFS export as "local storage" so that way I have no need
> of setting up any external storage. Maybe yo can mount that external
> storage as SMBFS.

Sure, I could mount an smbfs from the owncloud server but... I'd need to use a system-wide user/password for that. Suppose the remote share has user directories. If I mount it from the server, it will always try to access the subdirs within the share with the system-wide credentials, not with the credentials of the user who's using the owncloud interface. That's a big issue for me.

So that's why I thought that I could allow each owncloud user to set their remote SMB shares (with their LDAP passwords) but also set the default storage to 0 in order to disallow uploads to the owncloud server (but not the remote share). Apparently it's not possible as setting default storage to 0 disables uploads.

I don't know if I could mount the whole owncloud data directory on a remote SMB share and then allow users to set additional SMB shares on different servers accessible from owncloud.
Also, not sure what would happen if the SMB server were to shutdown/reboot while a owncloud user tries to log in. I don't know if owncloud would "gracefully" handle it and show some kind of message to the user.

Can I set "Default Storage" = 0 but still allow uploads when "external storages" are defined?

Thanks,

Vieri