[Owncloud] older versions of not approved apps

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Fri May 17 14:57:05 UTC 2013

Hello RoboMod,

On Friday 17 May 2013 13:16:30 RoboMod wrote:
> today I got a problem with a "not approved" app (roundcube).
> After the update to OC 5.0.6 yesterday this app didn't run. This morning I
> wanted to "re"-activate it, so I first deactivated. But after that it
> wasn't on the list of installable apps. Looking into the app store showed
> that it was updated some time ago but not approved yet.
> Why couldn't I install an older version?

this is indeed a shortcomming of the app store implementation:
it simply does not support any means to offer different versions of an app.
The problem you ran into is not the only pitfall raised by this situation.
Also it is currently not possible to offer different versions of an app for
different owncloud versions. Which is kind of idiotic, since owncloud itself
gets security updates for two previous major versions.

However usually apps are approved within a very short time. Typically the
small time gap where you see a "non approved" app is right after it has been
upgraded by a "3rd party developer". So usually you will be able to activate
that app again when retrying a little later.
If the app does _not_ get approved within a short time (typically less than a
few hours) then there obviously is a reason why this is not done. Often such
issues are also contained in previous versions, so probably it is a good idea
not to use that app at all for the time being.

Christian Reiner (arkascha)