[Owncloud] ownCloud design team progress

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Wed May 8 15:28:26 UTC 2013

The last weeks saw great progress with focusing more on design and
getting more people on a dedicated »design team«.

The latest thing is that we now have an @owncloud/designers group on
Github. This enables people to just mention @owncloud/designers in
issues and pull requests to notify all designers. Otherwise you have
to mention each one individually. The people currently on this group
are:
* Bernhard: https://github.com/Raydiation
* Raghu: https://github.com/raghunayyar
* Kondou: https://github.com/Kondou-ger
* Morris: https://github.com/kabum
* Guillaume: https://github.com/gpaumier
* Alessandro: https://github.com/zimba12
* and me (Jan): https://github.com/jancborchardt
Please let me know if you want to contribute to the design and would
like to be on this group. You will be notified every time someone
mentions this team in an issue, which would be every design issue or
pull request.

We also have a Design label on Github issues:
https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues?labels=Design – check out
these issues if you want to help and fix interface problems.
For easier issues and to get started, check out the Design issues also
marked »Junior Job«:
https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues?labels=Design%2CJunior+Job
High priority design issues are additionally marked with the »High«
label: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues?labels=Design,High –
these we need to prioritize on, and fixing any of those will make you
everyone’s hero!

Join the #owncloud-design channel on IRC:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=owncloud-design – we use this to
communicate on smaller issues, talk about what to work on next, and
just general chatter. It’s good to get to know the other people and
for organization in general.

There’s also a new design category on the ownCloud.com blog, to
emphasize that we care about good design:
https://owncloud.com/blog/category/design
Probably also a good idea to have some categories like that on
http://owncloud.org/news

You might know about the mockups/design repository:
https://github.com/owncloud/design/
I’m thinking about getting rid of this and rather using issues for
that (like the Design Forward ones). That makes discussion and
contribution much easier. The repo is stiff and we often used other
channels for discussion, which makes changes cumbersome to apply.
So actually just ignore that repo. But if you knew it before, be aware
that the new process is doing it in issues. I’ll port the existing
contents.

This information is also available at
http://owncloud.org/developer/design to get contributors started who
want to work on ownCloud design.