[Owncloud] Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Ashish Singh aitashish173 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 00:03:30 UTC 2013

Hi list,

This is a mail i have sent to organizer of gsoc for owncloud(zynga12) and
he advised me to send it to the ML and wait for the response of the
developers.

   1. I have been interested in Open source software for a very long time
   now. I always i wanted to contribute to opensource but  never   knew how to
   do it.
   2. I am also following Gsoc for a long time now and have know that it is
   a very good medium to contribute to Open source    community.
   3. I was very excited when i first came across Owncloud as its open
   source and its code  is available , I have spent some time looking at it.

I was searching for possible ideas for Owncloud when i got this idea.

===========================  PROPOSAL  ===========================

My proposal for OwnCloud software is the integration of a webhost(static
pages)

How this will works

   1. First create a folder with public access.
   2. Copy all your code(static pages with directories) into that folder.
   3. Then a pemalink is generated to the index.html
   4. That permalink can be used to share the link on web
   5. Anyone using the link can access the webpage.

Implementation details for this.

   1. Basically we provide the HTML( stored in the shared folder ) from the
   shared directory.
   2. The shared directory contains all the code.
   3. Code is transferred as per required to the user using the webpage in
   the browser.
   4. a similar
implementation.<https://developers.google.com/drive/publish-site>

I got inspiration for this idea from Google Drive<https://drive.google.com/>.
Google recently came out with a feature similar to this. I find it cool and
i see no other opensource cloud file sharing application where i could have
proposed it, I think with this feature OwnCloud will be more interesting
and fun to use.
This is how it would look
like.<https://googledrive.com/host/0B716ywBKT84AMXBENXlnYmJISlE/GoogleDriveHosting.html>

Looking forward to your replies.