[Owncloud] What to do about this message re data/file security

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Mar 26 18:25:31 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 06:51:16PM +0100, Arthur Schiwon wrote:
> On 03/26/2013 05:56 PM, Chris Green wrote:
> >When I go to my owncloud configuration I get the following message at he
> >top of the page:-
> >
> >     Your data directory and your files are probably accessible from the
> >     internet. The .htaccess file that ownCloud provides is not working. We
> >     strongly suggest that you configure your webserver in a way that the
> >     data directory is no longer accessible or you move the data directory
> >     outside the webserver document root.
> >
> >Firstly I don't understand why the Owncloud .htaccess file isn't working
> >as I have lots of other .htacces files which work fine.
>
> Make sure your vhost configuration for ownCloud allows .htaccess files.

Well, I have in my default vhost which is the one that owncloud will be
using:-

    #
    #
    # AllowOverride setting to enable .htaccess files, particularly in dokuwiki
    #
    <Directory /var/www/>
        AllowOverride all
        Order allow,deny
        allow from all
    </Directory>

Should there be a .htaccess file in the data directory or is there only
the 'top level' one in owncloud?

Aha!  I lost the data directory .htaccess file when I upgraded, it's
still there in the old version 4.5 installation.

I've copied the .htaccess file across and now the warning has gone!  :-)

Thanks.

--
Chris Green