[Owncloud] Pull request testing

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Wed Mar 20 09:57:06 UTC 2013

On 19.03.2013 22:28, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> I completely agree

I agree partly. Of course all code reviews should be done as accurate as
possible, and that involves patch applying and testing.

But:

>> A problem is that I often see: »thumbs up, code looks good but I didn’t test«
>>
>> Now I’m sure you’re all code wizards who can parse and render code in their head … but actually checking out the merge request, open ownCloud, in an actual browser (or two), and click around a bit if it really *works* is the crucial part here.
I don't think that testing of the code changes is always so easy that it
could be verified by "clicking around a bit". I also don't think that
code reviews can and should replace a qa step which is an important part
of bug fixing for which a dev is responsibility.
Code review here is more like a smoke test where people help to identify
obvious problems, code errors or design pitfalls.

We should pay attention to not end up with the result that people stand
away from reviews because we put too much responsibility on the reviewer.

Klaas