[Owncloud] Pull request testing

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Tue Mar 19 18:58:22 UTC 2013

Our code review process with 2 reviewers is really great and improves code
quality.

A problem is that I often see: »thumbs up, code looks good but I didn’t
test«

Now I’m sure you’re all code wizards who can parse and render code in their
head … but actually checking out the merge request, open ownCloud, in an
actual browser (or two), and click around a bit if it really *works* is the
crucial part here.

I know Github isn’t too clear about how to test pull requests, so I’ll let
you know: Below the comments (above the new comment form) there’s a bar
which is either green or grey, and there is a circled i in the left of it.
Click that, and the git commands of how to test and merge that pull request
will be served to you.
Most of the time it’s just one command like: git checkout -b
refactor_upload_js origin/refactor_upload_js

And that’s it! So please please _actually_ test pull requests before thumbs
upping. I know we are all busy and that but if we sweat reviewing the bugs
will pile up again.