[Owncloud] Contacts field formatting - Names and postal addresses in particular

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Mar 9 18:38:30 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 07:15:50PM +0100, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > > What do you mean about business names? Currently ORG and TITLE support is
> > > implemented https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2426#section-3.5
> >
> > > Well it's a compromise between simplicity in the UX and supporting the rfc
> > > as good as possible. The current implementation parses the formatted
> > > display name after a basic, western style first name, additional names
> > > and last name and
> > No it doesn't, if I enter "James Smith" as the name then it's simply
> > filed with a Family Name of "James Smith" and all the other fields
> > are empty.
>
> I forgot to mention that this is in OC 5, OC 4.5.X has the behaviour you
> describe.

Ah!  :-)

I'll look forward to version 5 then.

> > However just about every other address book I've played with has
> > explicit separate fields for First Name and Last Name, I think it would
> > be better if owncloud did the same.
>
> If you click on the small pencil icon to the right of the name, a dialog where
> you can edit all the fields will popup.

... but you can't change the Display Name there.  You can thus (usually
by mistake) end up with the Display Name having no relation to the Given
Name and Family Name.

Whatever, I think it would be good if the Display Name was shown in the
name editing box, then it's clear when you change the Given Name and
Family name that you haven't also changed the Display Name.

It's also a bit odd that if you make a new Contacts entry and go
straight to the pop-up name entry dialog you can end up with a blank
Display Name.

E.g. if I create a new entry for Chris Green by going to the pop-up
dialog I end up with Given Name = Chris, Family Name = Green and an
empty Display Name.  Wouldn't it be a good idea if the Display Name is
blank to populate it from Given Name + Family Name?

Thanks for all the feedback by the way, I really appreciate it.

--
Chris Green