[Owncloud] Hello :) What we are doing with ownCloud.

Craig Sawyer csawyer at yumaed.org
Sat Mar 9 17:38:08 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM, Alessandro Cosentino <cosenal at gmail.com>wrote:

> @Craig: is the python client actually a CLI client? I had people
> asking me if there is a CLI client for owncloud many times, so that
> would be great.
>
> Alessandro

> <CUT>

Yes, it is. But I think I should point out there *IS* one already, the
ocsync library comes with one. Install ocsync from the Mirall binary repos
(or compile it yourself using instructions on the ownCloud website).  To
use it: ocsync <src> owncloud://user:pass@host/URL.

There are a few gotchas with the above c client:
   1) it doesn't support email addresses (or other 'funky' characters) in
usernames/passwords.
   2) if you use SSL (ownclouds://) it is super super strict in regards to
the SSL certs you can use, and no way to relax that policy if you have the
need.

I fix both of those with my python CLI client, because they were sticking
points for me.  both are solved by using the csync_set_auth_callback(ctx,
authCallback) in the ocsync library (which the ocsync C client does not
use).

I'll get what I have pushed out to github or something next week, in it's
*it barely works* form.  Mine is a call it as you need it approach, I have
a daemon that watches inotify calls in /home and pulls out files that are
needing to be pushed to ownCloud, and then calling my python code to do the
actual sync to ownCloud.  I do this because I have to sync 100's of users,
and rather than they each get their own copy of inotify, I do it centrally
(and I had the inotify daemon written for other things already).  I
probably can't get the inotify daemon sufficiently out of my codebase
enough to be of use to anyone else, but the ownCloud CLI already is
separated out, so I can keep it there, and push it (which I will do next
week).

-Craig