[Owncloud] website is down

Michael Grosser owncloud at stp-ip.net
Tue Mar 5 18:22:44 UTC 2013

The website issues are still not handled!
And won't for the next few days as it looks!
Great that you are still taking the "through hardware at it" approach,
but what about at least separate docs, website and download
servers/vms? that's like a few hours work and prevents everything from
going down when we have a minor spike in downloads.
Even putting it for 2 days on a CDN like akamai or be it
amazon/rackspace would be better.
It's just bad publicity for the site being down, especially after you
downloaded and want to install (with the help of the docs).
And to say that it's not the first time.
I know you have a dedicated sysadmin and therefore my suggestions to
help are not more welcome than they were 2 years ago, when these
issues first arose. But scaling a static download for a few days...
common... it's like saying: "Hey we provide some storage software, but
we can't even handle usual file downloads!"

That is something that needs to be fixed and not after something
happens, but during and better before. I'm telling this for a long
time, but having a project site with an uptime of 95% is just bad.

Fix this or let the community help and not just with some "Maybe a
torrent based solution would take load off"
A Torrent solution is setup in 5-15 min so do it, it's your server.
After it's setup you can ask for seeds. But that's something which
needs a fix and not just a we could/we may do something about it.
You could even have asked on the mailing list to get 1-2 people with
servers and push them the file and load balance.
I doubt that you have more traffic than 2 Gbit/s that should be fine
with 2 servers, perhaps 3.

For an appropriately funded inc with a sysadmin I really expect more.
Especially cause you don't wanna help with the server issue directly.
I'm not the only one thinking that way. I could write a lot more and
especially a lot worse for some people, but I want that fixed and
nothing more.
Decide what you wanna do!

Cheers
"community guy"