[Owncloud] website is down

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Mar 5 19:37:44 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 12:48, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> Guys,
>
> thanks a lot for the great suggestions.
> We already have a new server. We just have to move the website.

Please consider using virtualisation on the new server (if not already
planned)

I use linux-vservers for my new systems and I'm really pleased (if you
like something else then go for it, the point was to virtualise, not
really discuss which virtualisation solution)

I now release nearly every website we run under a new vserver image. I
use several base images as my starting points, eg one vanilla, one setup
for web serving.  This makes it simple to update 20 virtual machines
easily.  (I use gentoo so additionally I can sync settings across groups
of machines and share binary packages across all machines - probably not
relevant to many here though)

The upshot is that I can "bounce the server" in about 1-3 seconds and
copying across to a new physical machine probably involves only a few
seconds of downtime (less if you can use iptables).  It is so simple to
move machines between physical hardware, test updates to machines before
doing it to the live machine, cloning them for tests, etc

Good luck

Ed W