[Owncloud] Possible improvements on oC scanner (media)

Jörn Friedrich Dreyer jfd at owncloud.com
Tue Mar 5 18:34:25 UTC 2013

Just to give my opinion on the Media app. I think it works quite well for local storage. Indexing files on remote storage is a brand new feature which I suppose still needs some polishing (the filesystem cache has been completely refactored for OC5). I personally would like to be able to share a folder of audio files to a friend and enable playback in the browser with the folder as playlist. This does not really need a collection, which is why Jan might think that I want to get rid of the Media app. Actually, the opposite is the case. I'd prefer a media app where I can share albums to other oc users that can then add the shared songs to a playlist that is stored on the server. But there is a resource problem ...

I was discussing the media and gallery app with Jan and assumed that he wanted to move away from files and focus on content. Thus providing special apps like Pictures and Media to exploit the available meta informatin available for these files and provide a better user experience.

That being said I still agree with Frank that the media app provides a decent functionality for audio files.

Another reason for files not showing up is that they lack ID3 data. Untagged files will not show up, which I personally consider a feature and not a bug.