[Owncloud] SSO solution and sync clients authentication (OC 5.0.7, user_saml)

alen vodopijevec alen at irb.hr
Wed Jun 26 13:37:42 UTC 2013

Well, I have access to local LDAP and benefits that you state (mixing
users/groups) are in place but:

1. I would like to provide users with SSO funcionalities for web interface
2. I would like to authenticate other users that come from federation
3. I would like to avoid storing SSO credentials locally
4. I don't want to mess with another authentication mechanism (LDAP) if
not necessary

I believe that password/token solution for sync clients for users that
are using any of external auth mechanisms would be a good choice.

Yes, it's a two passwords problem, but minority of my users will use
sync-client and you don't configure sync-client every day..

And in addition, I think there should be a configuration option to allow
or not the usage of local passwords for web interface when external
authentication is enabled.

Regarding point 3. - sync-client password in
~/.local/share/data/ownCloud/owncloud.cfg is base64 encoded.

# echo -n 'QmFkIGd1eXMgY2FuIHJlYWQgbXkgcGFzc3dvcmQhIDop' | base64 -d

Regards,
--
alen