[Owncloud] Server and client side encryption status vs Wuala

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at owncloud.com
Mon Jun 17 15:51:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:16:41 +0200 Christoph Schäfer wrote:
> I'm curious about the status of the encryption app. I found several
> discussions on this on the web regarding server vs client side
> encryption, especially starting in the last year. Is there a roadmap
> or a wiki page on the current status? I'm very curious on the
> progress with implementation of client side encryption.

With ownCloud 5.0.7 we released a preview version of the encryption app.
I wrote a small article about the new app in my blog[1].

Currently the app implements server-side encryption only. It is
possible to extend the existing app to enable client-side encryption
without changing much on the server-side. But for now our main priority
is to find possible bugs and to identify areas which could be improved
with respect to server-side encryption.

> Further, what are the main differences to Wuala? They promote their
> solution by claiming that the user's password never leaves the local
> client. Will OwnCloud feature comparable client side encryption in
> the future as well?

I don't know Wuala in detail so I can't really compare it to our
solution. But as far as know one notable difference is that by
using Wuala you rely on their servers. This makes client-side
encryption much more important for them. ownCloud allows you to choose
your server freely, so you can decide which admin you want to trust or
to be your own administrator if you wish.

[1]http://blog.schiessle.org/2013/05/28/introduction-to-the-new-owncloud-encryption-app/

cheers,
Björn

--