[Owncloud] Basic vs Digest Authentication

Markus Goetz markus at woboq.com
Mon Jun 10 06:59:14 UTC 2013

On 09.06.13 23:31, Bernhard Posselt wrote:
> Actually every login page should use SSL so I think it doesnt matter.
> Either you use SSL and youre secure or youre not.

Yes, please use SSL.
The reason 'basic' (instead of 'digest') is used is that you'd want to
give your authentication/user backend an unencrypted password since it
might have its own way of using the password to verify it.

Maybe ownCloud could give a big fat warning if the login screen is
acessed without SSL (although if SSL is terminated before the web server
somewhere, then it might not know about it)