[Owncloud] My feedback about ownCloud 5

Tornóci László tornoci.laszlo at med.semmelweis-univ.hu
Thu Jun 6 06:40:30 UTC 2013

Hi Thomas,

On 06/06/2013 01:01 AM, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 June 2013 16:06 Tornóci László wrote:
>> Yes, there are some
>> really frustrating problems, like you cannot tell the program which
>> addressbook to put a new contact to (makes the use of multiple
>> addressbooks and sharing of them impossible).
>
> This[1] is indeed one of the regressions the contacts app has after
> implementing the groups abstraction layer for ownCloud 5, and it is my top-
> priority for backporting besides being able to move contacts between address
> books [2].

> The backporting is the top-most priority, as ownCloud 5 will be around and
> maintained for quite some time, and these features are needed for all but the
> most trivial use cases. I hope to have it ready for 5.0.8.
> The backend redesign is at an almost steady state, and will have many
> advantages compared to the current state:
>
> - Allow for other backends than the current local database, e.g. LDAP (which
> is being worked on).
> - Better/easier permission checking.
> - Much FASTER local access, less db queries, no CPU spikes for trivial
> operations ;)
>
> And the frontend code has of course also seen improvements, so there will be
> no endless requests for contact thumbnails, and in general a lot less ajax
> requests.
>
> [1] https://github.com/owncloud/contacts/issues/44
> [2] https://github.com/owncloud/contacts/issues/57

Thank you for the status report. Nice to see these issues are going to
be solved soon, and you plan to backport the changes to 5.0.x. Does that
mean different addressbooks may have different backends, i.e. I can have
both SQL and LDAP based addressbooks? What about allowing users to have
remote cardDAV based addressbooks?

					Yours: Laszlo