[Owncloud] My feedback about ownCloud 5

Christian Dähn daehn at asinteg.de
Wed Jun 5 13:44:58 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm CIO, too and have the same problems: I like OC and it's concept
but can't use it in production environments, yet...

Currently I'm stucked to the 4.x release and follow this mailinglist
to findout, if the big problems with the sync clients are fixed and
the long term awaited encryption is available...

Sadly my OC server is not used for over an half year now by our
users, because of serious bugs of the client (thousands of conflict files,
no sync and hughe traffic because of endless loops inside the client)...

I would love to see these major problems solved and sometimes I'm
a little bit frustrated when I see, that devs spend their time make the
user interface more fancy etc.

ciao,
Chris

> On 5. Juni 2013 at 15:32 Dan O'Brien <danobrie at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I think your sentiments are felt by many who had hopes of independent
> cloud storage in ownCloud. I agree, it is too buggy to actually use and
> be productive with on any kind of scale. With each release it gets
> marginally better, but it needs some sort of major overhaul in terms of
> sharing and the sync client among other issues.
>
> I like the concept as well, and I do think it will get there at some
> point and the developers are doing very nice work, but I think messages
> like these are important for newcomers to see to save them some time.
> It is just not reliable as it is today, owncloud needs people to bug
> test and provide feedback, my experience has told me as well it is not
> ready to replace your dropbox or gdrive or whatever, unless you are
> prepared to deal with issues on a very regular basis. Newcomers need to
> know that.
>
> -Dan
>

> On 6/4/2013 5:27 AM, Thomas ROBERT wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm using owncloud for a few month now and I would like to give you my
> > feedback about it. So this message is mostly for the developers of
> > ownCloud.
> >
> > Just to give you some context, I'm the "CIO" of an association and we
> > need a storage system.
> > The specifications of our system is:
> > - storage of the files on the cloud
> > - we have different folders, one for each of our activity (~ 3 Go,
> > mostly odp and pdf but also sometimes bigger files)
> > - 1 computer sync with all the files (synced with the master user)
> > - users that can have access to some of the folders of the master user
> > (sharing configuration chosen by this master user) and that need to be
> > able to sync them of their personal computer
> >
> > We first use Dropbox with its sharing option and client sync. A few
> > month ago, I chose to switch from Dropbox to ownCloud because it
> > seemed to have nice advantages (keeping files on my own server, having
> > the storage space I want, better managing of user accounts, calendar
> > function, etc.).
> >
> > Currently I must say that the sharing and deleting function of
> > owncloud is quite problematic regarding my intense usage of it, and
> > far away from those of Dropbox and Google Drive.
> > ownCloud is based on a very nice concept but still have - I think -
> > some very big issues to fix before being ready for a powerful use. I'm
> > having for example big difficulties with the client software (don't
> > sync, ...), with versionning and the deletion of shared files etc.
> >
> > I also feel like the development of ownCloud is either slow or focused
> > on things I don't see or use. When I propose a vital function
> > according to me, it seems that in your system it's impossible to be
> > done. Ex : https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/3058
> > Maybe it's just because ownCloud is developed for another kind of
> > usage than mine. Maybe my usage is a bit particular. But if you think
> [...]
Mit den besten Grüßen,
Christian Dähn
Consultant

// ASinteg GmbH
// Hagenower Strasse 73, 19061 Schwerin
// Registergericht Schwerin HRB 9035, Geschäftsführer: Sandro Seltitz
// Telefon +49 (0)385 30 200 500, Fax +49 (0)385 30 200 509
// Internet http://www.asinteg.de