[Owncloud] Backup Owncloud Data, Calendars, and Contacts

owncloud_mailing_list at status.e4ward.com owncloud_mailing_list at status.e4ward.com
Tue Jun 4 23:38:56 UTC 2013

Hello all.

I've seen a few mentions of this here and there, but nothing very well documented and most of it pretty old.

I have a home server I've using to serve up owncloud (using mysql). I also have an external RAID storage device. I would like to periodically backup owncloud's data, calendars, and contacts for ALL users onto this external device. The data is easy since its held in a file structure, but what about calendars and contacts? How do I back them up and easily re-import them? The "Export this ownCloud instance" bit in the admin settings says it can export user data, database and system files. But how does this work, and does it also export calendars and contacts? How do I re-import them?

I look forward to learning more about this! Thank you.

Kyle