[Owncloud] [OwnCloud] ownCloud file permission structure

Jan Brenner jan at brennerpack.de
Tue Jun 4 09:25:13 UTC 2013

Hi Sampath,

that's simple. You know the possible permissions and the corresponding numeric values. The numeric values are "powers of two".

READ = 2^0

UPDATE = 2^1

CREATE = 2^2

A permission-set is the sum of these values.

Examples:

*When I share a file with both Delete permission and Update permission, then value of the permission column is 11.

--> 8 (DELETE) + 2 (UPDATE) + 1 (READ) = 11

*When I share a file with only share permission (only 'share' check box is checked), then value of the permission column is 17

--> 16 (SHARE) + 1 (READ) = 17

Best

Jan