[Owncloud] (very) large files support in own cloud

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Thu Jul 11 08:25:46 UTC 2013

On 11.07.2013 10:04, Holger Angenent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> did you try to use the desktop client? Just yesterday I uploaded a 4.4
> GB ISO-image using the 1.3.0 client to test the performance of my server
> and got no problems (and up to 70 MB/sec). Or is this no option for you?
Yes, the desktop client >= 1.3.0 implements what we defined here:
   https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/spec:-big-file-chunking

The functionality is very well encapsulated in a C lib, so if it is
possible to enhance the software you're talking about it might be
considerable to implement a direct upload to ownCloud in there.

Apart from that, I still think it would be good to have a commandline
client that would work on the same settings as the desktop client, not
sure if the recent python approach is still active.
With it, you would type:

$> occmd put huge_file.dat my_huge_files

and it would upload the local file huge_file.dat to the directory
my_huge_files on the configured ownCloud server. Should be fairly easy
to implement (C++, Qt).

regards,

Klaas