[Owncloud] Distro packages and AGPL3 compliance

Erwin Rennert rennert at zsi.at
Fri Jul 5 11:06:39 UTC 2013

You should be aware that Debain - as do Fedora and Suse - provide source
packages for the binary packages they offer. So, the distributions
already fulfill the requrements of the AGPL.

You should also be aware that you would need to provide the sources only
if you were to *distribute binary packages* of owncloud. This, however,
I believe is not your intention. You merely want to offer the use of the
software; not the software itself.

BTW, you can legally send e-mails without having to provide the source
code of GPLed software such as Postfix, Exim or G-d forbid, sendmail. :-)

I hope, this clarification helps.
It is always a good idea to take a step back and to re-evaluate
suppositions we have gotten used to.

Yours,
Erwin (who is not a lawyer)