[Owncloud] Ampache on OC 6

Bernhard Posselt mail at bernhard-posselt.com
Sat Dec 14 23:15:15 UTC 2013

webDav and CalDav/CardDav use normal HTTP iirc, HTTP basic auth. If this
is done over SSL it is encrypted. The only problem there could be if
someone manages to do a Man in the Middle attack which allows him to
grab your password. That would require him to have a valid Cert for your
domain though. If you check the fingerprint (or if the program does
this) its close to impossible to do this. So I'd argue: As long as you
can be sure that the SSL Cert is your own Cert, its way saver.

On 12/14/2013 05:20 PM, Tornóci László wrote:
> On 12/14/2013 04:40 PM, Bernhard Posselt wrote:
>> That feature was part of the music application, the music application
>> was a security risk and had no maintainer, thats why it was dropped.
>> There is a new alpha release from a different maintainer on the appstore
>> which you can try. I dont think it features ampache integration.
>>
>> Apart from that supporting the ampache API weakens your password
>> security (by a lot) and allows the use of rainbow tables to crack your
>> password. Just sayin.
>
> That's something I thought of myself, too. Is there a difference here
between services that OC provides? There are quite a few services
(webdav file, address book, calendar sync, mozilla sync). Are these
services any better from the security point than the ampache API? The
more services we use on different gadgets the more the security risk,
that is clear. But is there any difference between services? Just curious.