[Owncloud] A never ending story -> Encryption

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at owncloud.com
Thu Dec 12 10:45:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:40:14 +0100 NCH wrote:
> after upgrading to 6 my OC told me that my files are still encrypted
> and must be decrypted.

From which version did you upgraded? Since you talk about files
encrypted with the old encryption I assume that you upgraded from OC4.5.

Independent from the encryption, you should than first migrate to OC5
and from there to OC6.

> I did that over my personal settings, and now there are many file
> that can´t be opened e.g.  a pdf is now damaged.
> What is wrong here and how can I fix that?

So you already had files encrypted with the new encryption?
What do you mean with damaged? Is it still encrypted (if you look at
it with a text editor you should see a ASCII file with random letters)?

What was the result of the decryption. Did you got the response that
the decryption was successful?

> There are also many .gz files with encrypted old files of my OC4.5 or
> 5 how I can decrypt/restore them?

I'm confused. Before upgrading to OC6 you used OC5 with encryption and
you still had files encrypted with the new encryption and with the old
encryption? How did this worked? During first run of the new encryption
all files should be migrated to the new one.

Please provide more details.

cheers,
Björn

--