[Owncloud] OwnCloud Android App Open Source or Not?

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Fri Aug 30 07:09:20 UTC 2013

In addition to what Frank said, you might find this article on
»Selling Free Software« interesting:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

»Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU Project is that you
should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that
you should charge as little as possible — just enough to cover the
cost. This is a misunderstanding.
Actually, we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge
as much as they wish or can. If this seems surprising to you, please
read on.«

It’s similar if you look at some of the other apps interacting with
ownCloud, notably the mobile apps for the News reader.
There’s the Android app by David:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.luhmer.owncloudnewsreader
And the iOS app by Peter: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iocnews/id683859706
I think it’s great that they develop both open source, and charge for
them too. And it’s worth it because the apps are really good!

So please be welcome and contribute: http://github.com/owncloud/android :)