[Owncloud] Help needed for implementing a Samba APP for ownCloud

Qiang Yu yuq825 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 06:43:00 UTC 2013

Hi lists,

I'm now working on implementing a Samba APP to share user files. But
due to my little experience on both PHP and ownCloud APP development,
I need some suggestion and help.

My plan (on Linux):
1. create ownCloud user's corresponding Linux user (for Samba needs)
2. mount each user's ownCloud home dir through WebDAV locally on the server
3. export these dir by Samba

There are three problems to execute this plan for me:
1. PHP must do some job which can only be done as root, like modify
some files and exec some commands.
2. How to solve the currency problem when many user online and the
recovery problem when suddenly power cut? That is how to program in
PHP within ownCloud to ensure atomicity and recoverability?
3. Hooks can be added by this APP to handle new user add and delete
ops to create Linux user, WebDAV mount home dir and Samba share, but
how about the existing users when this APP is enabled?

My solution to the first problem is:
1. add linux user www-data to group sudo
2. write commands into some scripts which can only be written by root,
www-data can read and execute
3. add these commands to /etc/sudoers so that www-data can use sudo to exec them
Any suggestions?

But I have no idea about the second and third problems, any help?

Regards,
Qiang