[Owncloud] Controlling cron tasks

Torsten Seyffarth t.seyffarth at gmx.de
Wed Aug 14 17:39:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am using the latest version of OC on an OpenSuse 12.3 Server. I have
one system disk that contains the main file system and is running all
the time. Only some data including the data directory from OC is on a
separate RAID that goes inactive if nothing happens for 30 min, which is
most of the time for me.

This worked fine until I wanted to use the News App. For this app I have
to switch from AJAX update method to cron, so the the news feeds can be
updated regularly. Unfortunately the RAID is never going to sleep then.
I guess it cannot be the news feeds, because they are stored in the
MySQL database, which is on the system disk. OC probably looks every
time if all files are still there, or something in that direction?

Can somebody explain more detailed, what happens when cron.php is called
and if this behavior can be changed somehow, so e.g. that only the news
are updated and the files work as before?

regards
Torsten