[Owncloud] New Windows 8 "metro" client

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Mon Aug 12 15:11:40 UTC 2013

On 12.08.2013, at 16:49, Robin Appelman <icewind at owncloud.com> wrote:

> On Monday 12 August 2013 16:44:40 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
>> Just guessing here but I suppose that app would be mainly targeted at
>> the Windows 8 phones? So not focused on syncing, but on browsing and
>> viewing the files, having only select ones synced. Similar to the
>> Android and iOS apps.
>
> It's seems focused on windows 8 tablets, but yes from what I can tell after a
> small test it focuses on browsing and viewing

Yes. I have the same impression. It's a nice way to browse and view files but it's something completely different than our official clients that sync files for offline usage.

So in case it wasn't clear. This is not going to replace any existing piece of ownCloud. It' just an additional option to access ownCloud.

I'm not familiar with the newer Windows frameworks but I think this can't run on a phone. It's only for desktops and tablets.

Thanks to the students of the University of Münster for the nice free software contribution. :-)

Frank