[Owncloud] AppFramework?

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Tue Aug 6 09:52:02 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 06 August 2013 11:11 Thomas Müller wrote:
> Am Dienstag, dem 06.08.2013 um 10:55 schrieb Thomas Tanghus:
> > I see hints about "AppFramework in it current state will change", "recent
> > discussions about AppFramework" etc.
> >
> > Can someone please elaborate more on this?
>
> At our developer meeting in Berlin next week we will have a close look and
> see which parts of the appframework will be integrated into core - php
> only.

The Right Thing to do. IMHO the framework has reached a maturity level that
absolutely makes it a candidate for inclusion/integration in core.

> Anything which is left over has to be integrated into the individual apps -
> e.g. within an AppTemplate or within the scaffolding tool - we will see.
>
> The main reason behind this is that dependencies between apps will only
> result in pure nightmare. Any app interaction must go through the public
> core api.

OTOH having the API class/object as a (de facto, maybe not theoretically)
singleton, could potentially drastically cut down on the excessive DB queries
being made. The most visible - because it's being logged - is the User backend
instances being created many times per request.

> The appframework - especially the PHP components - has many great features
> we/I want in core.

+1

> Stuff like angularjs will - for now - stay out of core. Current developments
> in the area of the new user management will show if angular is the way to
> go for us.
> But even if we choose angular one day to be an ownCloud core component - or
> not - app developers should still have the freedom to choose their js
> libraries.

Sounds reasonable from my POV at least ;)

> I hope this explains the current discussions detailed enough - Frank
> anything else to add?
>
> I guess we will return from Berlin with a final decision and a decent path
> to walk to all of us.

Thanks, also to the other posters, for this update. Looking forward to reading
the minutes from Berlin :)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus