[Owncloud] Why are we using a label in the login mask to show placeholder values?

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Sun Sep 30 07:47:26 UTC 2012

On Thursday 27 September 2012 22:51 Robin Appelman wrote:
> iirc, a custom placeholder was used instead of using the html5 placeholder
> attribute because the native placeholder dissapears as soon as the input
> gets focus. With the username field being auto focused it won't have a
> visible placeholder untill it loses focus.

IMHO we shouldn't use infield labels - be they native placeholder attributes
or not - for the login. I fail to see what is wrong with simply having normal
labels next to the input fields.
If it is solely for aesthetics it still fails, because it looks bad for the
reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.

We could still use placeholder for hinting, but there's no real reason for it
- still IMHO ;)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus