[Owncloud] owncloud 4.5 beta 4 install issue

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Sun Sep 23 23:03:04 UTC 2012

On Monday 24 September 2012 00:08:44 Michael Göhler wrote:
> > After running the configuration wizard and going to the Settings -
> > Admin section, I'm presented with the following message:
> >
> > "Security Warning
> > Your data directory and your files are probably accessible from the
> > internet. The .htaccess file that ownCloud provides is not working.
> > We strongly suggest that you configure your webserver in a way that
> > the data directory is no longer accessible or you move the data
> > directory outside the webserver document root."
>
> I got this message too and had to set "AllowOverride All" for the /
> directory in my apache2 config.

You are correct and is also present in the install instructions (oeps!), so mine
is now as follows:

	<Directory /var/www/owncloud/>
                Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>

And now I don't have the warning msg anymore :-)

On Sunday 23 September 2012 23:23:30 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> I haven't moved the data directory yet, but will do so later.
> What do I have to do, apart from changing the value in config.php to make
> it work  and secure?

Thanks to the excellent instructions by SteveRiley on the forums I managed to
move my data directory and I think it would be a good idea to mention that in
the install instruction (see also the Security Warning).
Forum post:
http://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?p=3874&sid=8905580986c6365b47e97234fcbbaf7d#p3874

But what I'm not sure about is whether I have to change the datadirectory value
in config.php (since the data directory is symlinked to the actual one).

So if it can be confirmed that SteveRiley's instructions are indeed correct and
complete and answer whether I need to change config.php, that would be most
welcome.

Cheers,
  Diederik