[Owncloud] Heavy LDAP user search

Jörn Friedrich Dreyer jfd at owncloud.com
Fri Sep 21 10:29:35 UTC 2012

Just brainstorming: lucene by default only starts searching when the user has enterd three characters. Using the same limitation in the share dialog would allow Arthur to query the LDAP server with a filter that takes the three digits into account. That should drastically reduce lookup times and is not much of a nuisance to the user. The search dialog could then directly be populated with ldap results

@ Arthur: would that work or are there other requirements?

Dirk Kastens <dirk.kastens at uni-osnabrueck.de> schrieb:

>I have configured many software products with ldap access at work. None
>
>of it scans the whole directory. The problem is, that oc won't
>recognize
>changes in the directory. When I add a new ldap user or when I change
>the group membership of a user, I expect that the software immediately
>recognizes the changes. It's not very user friendly if I have to wait
>for the next complete rescan of the directory to discover the changes.

>try
>hangs. I
>50k
>>>
>>> Try to increase the Cache TTL to make it run more smoothly. However,
>every
>>> now  and then it needs to be updated.
>>
>> Why not create an option in the LDAP-backend/Admin app to (pre-)scan
>the
>> directory? That way the administrator can determine when it's a good
>time to
>> query the 'whole' directory instead of it being invoked when the
>first user
>> request triggers it. I'm not sure, but maybe this way there's also
>a(n elegant)
>> way to avoid timeouts.
>> Would using the cron feature a proper way to update the cache and/or
>fill it in
>> the first place?
>>
>> Note: I haven't used the LDAP backend (yet?), so this is just me
>brainstorming.
>> Hope it helps.
>Dirk

Jörn Friedrich Dreyer (jfd at owncloud.com)