[Owncloud] Revolutionizing the help system (yes, that's exaggerated)

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Tue Oct 30 18:04:38 UTC 2012

On 30.10.2012, at 18:09, Jörn Friedrich Dreyer <jfd at owncloud.com> wrote:

> On 30.10.2012 17:20, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
>> On Tuesday 30 October 2012 16:38 post at deryo.de wrote:
>>> TL;DR Version:
>>>
>>> - The apps knowledgebase should be shut down
>>> - The "Help" label inside oC should reveal the all new and shiny
>>> documentation[1] within the ownCloud plus some links as eg. the USER
>>> forums and the new to be created page "how to report a bug or request
>>> a feature" on our website
>>> - The Documentation is delivered either within the ownCloud package or
>>> presented as an iFrame or something using our website
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/owncloud/documentation/blob/master/README.rst
>> What about the API docs generated at http://api.owncloud.org/ - how can they
>> be included? There's no need to duplicate the efforts and having auto-
>> generated docs is also an incentive for doing better inline documentation.
>>
>> Great to see documentation/help channels getting some TLC btw :-)
>>
> Well there is a difference in the end user documentation and the
> developer documentation. The API should be part of the developer
> documentation I think. Danimo proposed a new way of writing that
> documentation at the developer meeting and I think he will write a mail
> on how to do it soon.
>
> so long
>
> Jörn

Yes. We only want to have the end user documentation included. The rest of the documentation will be on ownCloud.org/dev

There is one more thing I want to mention.
This plan only works obviously if everybody helps to build a great documentation at:
https://github.com/owncloud/documentation/tree/master/user_manual

Volunteers welcome :-)

Frank