[Owncloud] Getting owncloud-client in Debian

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 13:02:51 UTC 2012

On Monday, October 29, 2012 15:21:24 Jean-Louis Dupond wrote:
> On 2012-10-29 15:03, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Monday, October 29, 2012 13:23:07 Jean-Louis Dupond wrote:
> >> Wouldn't it be a good idea to get the ownCloud Client packages in
> >> Debian repositories?
> >
> > Certainly.
> >
> >> Now the packages are build on a 3rd party repository (suse).
> >>
> >> Is there any reason the package wasn't brought into Debian?
> >
> > Yes, upstream code quality is insufficient.
>
> The code of the owncloud-client? Or is only libiniparser the problem?
[...]

libiniparser. I think Mirall's source code is fairly sane.

> > In short: it has to be replaced in csync, but Andreas is not
> > convinced by that. There's a proposed patch even:
> >
> > https://open.cryptomilk.org/attachments/download/3/0001-csync_config-Drop-
> > iniparser-dependency.patch
>
> Its not to difficult (and allowed) to apply the patch in the version to
> upload in Debian.
> So the package in Debian could drop the depend on libiniparser.

It's not ideal (and a valid reason for rejection) to have downstream (i.e.
Debian) ship a patch that is NAK'ed upstream. The right way to do it would be
to port to ding-libs (whatever that is, Andreas suggests he'd ACK a patch
doing that), upstream that and package the result for Debian.

Let's not ignore that libiniparser not only sucks for Debian, but for others
as well. The source doesn't even have a build system, (portability?) it
contained multiple WTFs when I installed it from source on my system. It's
just really bad.

Note that I'm not a Debian (or csync) developer, so all I write here is from
my personal second-hand experience, not authoritative. :)

Cheers,
--
sebas