[Owncloud] Getting owncloud-client in Debian

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Mon Oct 29 16:56:10 UTC 2012

On Monday 29 October 2012 17:22:04 Klaas Freitag wrote:
> > Yes.
> Why btw?

Speaking for myself (of course):
I rarely install packages outside of the Debian repositories and I think users
of Debian (especially stable) should do so too, unless you really "need" a pkg
which is not (or can not, ie deb-multimedia.org) distributed by Debian.
I have 2 main reasons for that:
- Debian (Developers and infrastructure) does a lot to make sure all packages
meet some quality standards, that it's checked legally (licenses) and most
importantly that the various pkgs in the archive work seamlessly together and
can be managed by the standard tools
- I think ppl should be discouraged by installing 'random' pkgs from the
internet. The pkgs in Debian are checksummed, digitally signed and the integrity
of a pkg is checked before it gets installed on your system.
Randomly downloading and installing programs is why windows is so plagued by
virusses/trojan-horses/etc. I think the whole ppa thing from ubuntu is
(therefor) a bad idea.

This does not mean that pkgs outside the Debian repositories are bad or provided
with malicious intend.

> The idea of doing it in the buildservice is to provide the users with
> the latest versions quickly after release, which is important to users
> especially of Ubuntu and friends. We get that feedback regularly.

I can't speak for Ubuntu, but owncloud 4.0.8 pkgs were in Debian unstable the
night 4.0.8 was released. Thomas (deepdiver) does an excellent job wrt packaging
owncloud for Debian :-)

HTH,
  Diederik