[Owncloud] How to create a users for large deployments

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Wed Oct 24 14:12:46 UTC 2012

On 24.10.2012, at 16:00, Aliosh Neira wrote:

> The version that we are using is 4.5. Right now we will update to 4.5.1.
>
> 2012/10/24 Aliosh Neira <aliosh2006 at gmail.com>
> Hi Owncloud Team and friends
>
> We are deploying Owncloud to the schools and the problem is create users for the students. A teacher can create a user for each student, but take a long time for large schools.
>
> Is there some alternative to do this more fast?

You could probably pre-seed the database, but that is not a good idea because it limits you to just ownCloud, every other web service (e.g. email) would need their own user database again. For larger organizations like schools, you probably want to set up LDAP or Active Directory to manage accounts, so you can share them with other services. Also, there are enough documented ways on how to bulk-provision new accounts to LDAP or AD.

In case you are already providing other services (i.e. email) for your students, there are authentication plugins for IMAP servers, but you should only consider this if LDAP is not a (short-term) option.

Cheers,
  Daniel