[Owncloud] Changing the database backend

Jörn Friedrich Dreyer jfd at owncloud.com
Wed Oct 17 15:43:42 UTC 2012

On 17.10.2012 16:44, eMerzh wrote:

> Ouch ...
> I use doctrine here and there... and it is really nice with select
> from table type request but a pita for a little more complex one.
> I expect  that a lot of our queries won't work anymore and will be
> hard to rewrite

My understanding is that doctrines db layer is an evolved version of
mdb2 that uses PDO back end where possible (the oracle back end still
uses oci8). Switching to the doctrine db layer should not require us to
rewrite any sql, but we can get rid of managing two db back ends - which
is IMHO quite insane. With doctrine we have the schema versioning from
MDB2 and automagically use PDO when possible.

Plase correct me if I am wrong!

After that we could evaluate using the OR mapper of doctrine.

After that we could evaluate using the symphony2 framework ... or any
other framework ...

I say _could_ for a reason here ;)

so long

Jörn
> Le 17 oct. 2012 14:47, "Frank Karlitschek" <frank at owncloud.org
> <mailto:frank at owncloud.org>> a écrit :
>
>     Hi Bart,
>
>     thanks a lot for your work.
>     We have to discuss this in Berlin. So far we haven´t agreed to
>     move to doctrine as far as I know. :-)
>     It would be great to have some performance test first to see the
>     performance implication. Another open question is who and how we
>     migrate all the existing code and apps.
>
>     Frank
>

>     On 17.10.2012, at 08:48, Bart Visscher <bartv at thisnet.nl
>     <mailto:bartv at thisnet.nl>> wrote:
>
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I pushed a branch doctrine, in it is the first conversion of the DB
>     > backend to the Doctrine database access layer (DBAL). The DBAL
>     supports
>     > changing the schema so we don't need MDB2 for that.
>     > The plan is to remove MDB2 and our PDO layer, and only use
>     Doctrine for
>     > database access.
>     >
>     > Are there any objections to this? When there are no objections i
>     will
>     > merge this after our meeting in Berlin.
>     >
>     > Bart
>     > Owncloud mailing list
>     > Owncloud at kde.org <mailto:Owncloud at kde.org>