[Owncloud] ownCloud packaging

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Tue Oct 16 09:21:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

most of you probably know that we do packaging for various distros in
the openSUSE build service. For a project like ownCloud it is important
to offer good binary packages to the users as that eases installation
and updating.

As multi distro packaging is not easy I'd like to ask you for the following:
- @devs: Dependencies: If you add a dependency to owncloud, it is
extremely important to tell about on the ML packaging at owncloud.org.
The packagers have to add this dependency to the packages. If one is
missing, the chance is high that the package simply does not work.

- @users: If you have a chance, please _test_ our packages every now and
than, see [1] for install repos. If something misses (dpendencies!) on
your platform, please report to packaging at owncloud.org

- @packagers: If you want to help packaging please let me know! We are
lacking knowledge especially for Fedora/RHEL/CentOS at the moment, but
also on all other platforms we urgently need help.

Please realize that bin packages are the first contact for many users of
ownCloud. If they are failing to install or oC fails to run, it gives a
very bad impression. We saw negative comments on blog posts after the
4.5 release that probably are a result of bad packaging.

thanks,

Klaas

[1]
http://software.opensuse.org/download/package?project=isv:ownCloud:comunity&package=owncloud