[Owncloud] apps review and categories

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Fri Oct 12 09:28:12 UTC 2012

Hello,

> > [...]
> >> Approval workflow:
> > Clearly makes sense, however:
> > Since this in effect means censorship (not meant in a bad way here) it
> > appears to be very important to have a well defined, public catalog of
> > aspects that apps must be conform with. Otherwise such a revision process
> > might be regarded as arbitrariness. App developers must know about these
> > rules beforehand.
> > [...]

> I disagree that this has anything to do with censorship. Everybody can
> publish apps in the repo, other websites or somewhere else. Installation is
> super easy by just putting it in the the apps folder of your ownCloud. No
> one is censoring anything here. Please donĀ“t confuse this with the way
> others like Apple is doing this. The only thing that we do is to make sure
> that the Apps that can be installed and executed with one click by random
> users have QA.

I am sorry if I hurt any feelings by using the term 'censorship'. That
certainly was not my intention. That's why I made the notion that this term is
not meant in a bad way.
I do not want to fight over a term, a word. In effect a group of people judges
if something created by someone else is published or held back. I don't know
how else to call that... I absolutely agree that this is done in best
intentions and I absolutely support the installation of such process. I just
wanted to emphasize the importance of transparency _because_ this might be
regarded as censorship otherwise. That's all.

And I am pretty sure that I do not confuse this process with Apples politics.

--
Christian Reiner (arkascha)
[ foss at christian-reiner.info ]