[Owncloud] apps review and categories

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Fri Oct 12 08:50:46 UTC 2012

Hi Frank, hello all,

On Friday 12 October 2012 10:25:07 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> independent 3rd party apps for ownCloud are getting more and more important
> for us. [...] So building an app ecosystem around a small ownCloud core is
> important. Because of that we have to work on the tools to build this
> ecosystem.

this is _really_ good news from my point of view. Thanks for taking action!

> ownCloud versions:
> [...] Currently it is only possible to select one ownCloud version. In
> the future when we have apps that are compatible with different releases we
> will add options to select several different versions.

Please not that such apps already exist.
So that is not some future problem "once ownCloud get's there".

> Approval workflow:

Clearly makes sense, however:
Since this in effect means censorship (not meant in a bad way here) it appears
to be very important to have a well defined, public catalog of aspects that
apps must be conform with. Otherwise such a revision process might be regarded
as arbitrariness. App developers must know about these rules beforehand.

This because that review process will almost certainly not only be used to
block apps published to spread backdoors, but also to control general quality:
security aspects like CSRF & XSS, desctructive behaviour towards the
installation or other apps, missuse of features or gaps and so on.

--
Christian Reiner (arkascha)
[ foss at christian-reiner.info ]