[Owncloud] master master replication for larger installation

Isaac Hailperin i.hailperin at heinlein-support.de
Thu Oct 11 13:16:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to think of a good way to set up an owncloud master master
installation. The two masters reside in different sites.
User authentication would be via ldap. If nessesary this could be done
via ldap master master replication.
Now what is left is the replication of the data I think (If we make sure
clients connect only to one instance at a time, no database replication
is nessessary (?)).
I am not aware of the amount of user data, but it should be quite a bit,
since I am targeting at 15.000 users.

As far as I can see there are two general options to do this: on the
filesystem level, e.g. using GlusterFS, or on the file level, using some
sort of synchronization tool.
Now I tend to the latter, because my experience with distributed
filesystems is that they tend to be laborious, complex and not very
reliable.
Looking for synchronization solutions, I came across lsyncd with csync2,
as described here:
https://www.axivo.com/community/threads/lightning-fast-synch-with-csync2-and-lsyncd.121/

What I am concerned about is that csync2 is not suitable for larger
amounts of data. At least thats what the documentation suggests.

Now I was wondering whether anyone has a working owncloud master master
setup or ideas on how to realize this.

Also I see the Enterprise Edition offers "replication". Does anyone know
what this means exactly?

Isaac