[Owncloud] Debian oc package with ntp depency

Sebastian Steinhuber sebastian.steinhuber at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 28 19:56:36 UTC 2012

Hi,
I installed owncloud from the SuSe build service repo on a server
running debian unstable. The owncloud server is
# part of a local infrastructure with a dedicated domain time server
# a linux-vserver container, so not allowed to change time/date that it
shares with the host.

I understand that it is crucial for webdav/calendar/kerberos services to
have accurate timestamps, so I can see a reason to _recommend_ an ntp
service (there are others than ntp, too).
Debian users working with the distribution defaults would install the
recommends of a package anyway, afaik.

Imagine users who would prefer chrony or openntpd over ntp.

Of course I'm able to 'insserv -r ntp' now and again with every ntp
update, but I'd like to discuss the issue, too – but I could have missed it.

Best,

Sebastian