[Owncloud] Documentation Repo Howto

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Wed Nov 28 19:29:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

I realized I never really introduced our documentation repository, sorry for that. This mail tries to fix this as I see a lot of movement again in the documentation repo. It is changing almost every hour now, which is really awesome. I want to take the opportunity to , we have two branches to work on on the server, master and stable45. The naming conventions follow the ones in core and apps.

All documentation that concerns both 4.5 and master should go into stable45 and will be merged into master regulary. Everything that only concerns master should only be documented in master for 5.0. However, this does not mean a free ticket to abandon stable45.

I know that for most of us the only thing less rewarding than documentation is documenting what many of you see as 'yesterdays software', but this is what people use, and should be using. So please help them.

To help matters, I propose the following commit policy for the documentation repository:

- Please push only after running at least "make html", indeally also "make latexpdf" ran locally without problems.
- If you broke it, you will receive mail from Mr. Jenkins. If you are unsure how to fix it, get in touch with me
- Only commit to master if you have documented the same in stable45 or the feature didn't exist in 4.5, do so by merging (stable-first approach)
- Exceptions are in place for GCI. Please get in touch with me. I will do the painful merging
- If you document something in stable45, you are responsible for landing it in master through merging. If you are unsure how to do that, please get in touch with me.
- I will also take care of documentation created through PRs.

FAQ:

Q: What should I look at as a reference for good documentation style?