[Owncloud] adopting CoffeeScript in ownCloud

Raghu Nayyar me at iraghu.com
Mon Nov 26 14:42:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to mail this. I had a conversation
with Jan Borchardt like 2 months ago, while I had started working on
Impressionist. He had suggested me to go for Struct which is more "up to
date and error free" as compared to Impressionist. I couldn't start at that
time being new to CoffeeScript for one reason and other being a notion that
no other app in ownCloud worked with CS.
Now, since the news app is working with CS (a big thumbs up :D) Can I also
begin including Struct. As we are done we can choose between which app to
keep, can be Impressionist or Struct. Both have their plus and minuses.

Thanks

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Raghu Nayyar <raghu.nayyar.007 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Victor Dubiniuk <
> victor.dubiniuk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It totally makes sense to me. Another good CS feature is a jslint
>> validation. It produces valid JS out of a box.
>> Write less, Do more :)
>>
>> ---
>> Victor
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Bernhard Posselt <nukeawhale at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> To clarify some things: I use it in the news app and im not planning on
>>> pushing anything coffeescript like into core.
>>>
>>> The selling points for me were:
>>>
>>> * I needed a buildscript to make sure that a certain js part was
>>> included before others (i use a cakefile for this)
>>> * I have 30 javascript files (coffee files atm) so listing all of them
>>> in my code before each controller method is not feasible, its also
>>> cumbersome to add new things
>>> * It shrinks down the lines of code from 2000 lines to 800
>>> * It provides nice patterns like easy inheritance which I need :) (class
>>> X extends Y is also easier to read than the whole prototype stuff to
>>> achieve the same things)
>>> * You can learn it fast, these are all features http://coffeescript.org/
>>>
>>> So basically the use is limited to the news app.

>>> apps
>>> news_angularjs and
>>> Before
>>> list