[Owncloud] adopting CoffeeScript in ownCloud

Alessandro Cosentino cosenal at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 23:19:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

In the last month, Bernhard (Raydiation) has created a branch of the apps
repository, which he has used as a laboratory for introducing new
technologies in the News app. The name of the branch is news_angularjs and
CoffeScript (CS) is one of the technologies that he has tried out. Before
merging the branch to master, I want to discuss with the rest of the list
the adoption of CS in ownCloud.

CS (http://coffeescript.org) is an alternative syntax for javascript (js),
which is becoming widely used. CS code is trans-compiled into javascript,
so this doesn't add dependencies for ownCloud users. CS code is supposed to
be more readable than js and the compiled code is supposed to run faster
than hand-written js. Bernhard can tell you more about the success of his
experiments with CS in the news_angularjs branch.

I don't want the News app to be the only ownCloud app to use CS. Many oC
developers might already be comfortable with CS. If this is not the case, I
don't want the app to be hard to maintain in the future because of this. I
believe that people are willing to learn new things only if it's worth it
and I am afraid that if the News app is the only app to use some
technologies, people will just decide to work on other apps.

What do you think about using CoffeScript in ownCloud? In the Getting
Started section (http://owncloud.org/dev/apps/getting-started/), I read
that jquery and torch are the libraries that we use, but I don't see a
general policy about using different js things.

Alessandro (zimba12)